Cast Iron Historical Markers
The West Virginia Highway Historical Marker Program
was initiated in 1937 as part of the New Deal as a way to encourage tourism during the Great Depression. The West Virginia Commission on Historic and Scenic Markers worked with the State Road Commission, Works Progress Administration, and Federal Emergency Relief Administration to place 440 markers during the first year alone. After World War II, markers were placed at the sites of most state-run facilities and schools. The West Virginia Historic Commission took over the program in 1963. Since the late 1960s, the program has been managed by West Virginia Archives and History, which is today part of the West Virginia Division of Culture & History.
Over 1,000 markers have been placed in West Virginia. Midland Trail has approximately 100 sites recognized by this system on or near Route 60.
Click here for details on Historic Markers of the Midland Trail.