For more information about the
Midland Trail Scenic Byway, call us at
 

1.866.Route60

 
 
 
 
 
WV Tourism
 

Gauley Bridge

Contact Information:


Area Information

Gauley Bridge CMP
 

At Gauley Bridge, the New and Gauley Rivers merge to create the Great Kanawha River, which flows to the Sate Capitol and eventually into the Ohio River. As eastbound visitors round the bend at Glen Ferris (MM-93) they get their first view of the merged rivers.

Gauley Bridge was first explored in 1671, when Captain Thomas Batts discovered and claimed the area east of Kanawha Falls for King Charles II of England and Ireland. Although their expedition stopped at Kanawha Falls, they learned through their Native American guide that Native Americans were making salt at present day Malden.

Gauley Bridge's position at the confluence of the rivers made it a strategic location during the Civil War. The town takes its name from a toll bridge that crossed the Gauley River and which Confederate troops burned; today you can still see its old mossy piers.

When trains first roared across the state's landscape, Gauley Bridge was a railroad stop for the old New York Central Railroad. Gauley Bridge Town Hall is housed is a renovated railroad passenger depot. Inside hangs a print of Corporal J. N. Roesler's 1862 depiction of Camp Gauley Civil War Encampment.

Visit local franchise Five Brats Bakery and Gino's Pizza and Spaghetti. Evan Scent Gifts manufactures candles at their facility on the Trail. Riverbank camping is available at New River Campground.

Town of Gauley Bridge  304.632.2505